Butterfly Sales are now closed for 2022. Please check back again next spring!
2022 Painted Lady Butterfly Expanded Rearing
Prepay by April 21st, 2022 for distribution the week of May 9th, 2022.
See the important shipping information below ** to order your Live Painted Lady Butterfly Kit for spring 2022!
Butterflies cannot be shipped with other products for the safety of these little critters.
The Live Painted Lady Butterfly Expanded Rearing Kit is the perfect kit for families and small groups to raise butterflies from larvae to butterfly. The Rearing Kit includes 8-10 larvae.
Did you know Painted Lady Butterflies are found on every continent except Antarctica and are virtually as widespread as the Cabbage White - and all of this without human assistance? They are common throughout Canada. The upper surface is orange, black and white, with a wingspan of 50 - 60 mm.
Have you ever wondered at the beauty and majesty of a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis? Now you can watch the cycle in your own home. Each Expanded Rearing Kit comes with clear instructions, feeding information, artificial diet and larvae in a caterpillar cup. These kits are a wonderful spring project.
The Butterfly Expanded Rearing Kit includes:
- 8-10 larvae in a 16oz rearing chamber already set up with enough nutrient diet to rear them (no transfer into smaller containers necessary)
- Paint brush for safe handling
- Adult Feeding vial
Larvae do not come with a flight cage to house adult butterflies. You will need a larger container for your chrysalis to emerge. You can make your own with from a cardboard box or a mesh laundry hamper. Or you can purchase a flight cage.
The whole project takes about a month :
- 1 - 3 weeks as a caterpillar
- About one week as a chrysalis
- Then your butterfly emerges.
- Release your butterflies in 5-7 days.
**Important SHIPPING information for 2022!
- Butterflies cannot be shipped with other products for the safety of these little critters. No exceptions will be permitted. Multiple kits can be shipped to one address but must be on the same order. Please place your butterfly order alone, not with other products. If other products are requested on the same order, products will be moved to a separate order with separate shipping fees. Your order may experience delays in this case.
- Please select special butterfly kit shipping fees when checking out depending on your region of Canada. (Shipping in Alberta or Saskatchewan: $25. Shipping to BC or Manitoba: $30. Shipping to Ontario: $35. Shipping to provinces east of Ontario: $45. All addresses will be confirmed.) We will not ship to the Territories, to remote locations or outside Canada. If the estimated ship time for other addresses will be too long, we will let you know but we may not be able to process your order. Unfortunately, we are experiencing some COVID-related unpredictability with our shippers this year which could result in your caterpillars growing a bit more in transit or families experiencing a lesson in mortality. (If this is not a risk you are comfortable with, perhaps you would like to delay your purchase for a year when this is more predictable.)
- Orders picked up curbside in Calgary have no additional ship fees.
Please note: Butterfly Kits are Special Order items. You will receive an email after we receive your request, this will have further instruction and require your confirmation and prepayment.
Any promotions or promo codes offered by CHER are not applicable to this Special Order Item.
Plant a Butterfly Garden!
Plant a corner of your garden or flowerbed with butterfly-friendly plants and include host plants for all life stages. Don't be discouraged if you don't have much space, butterflies appreciate hanging plants and container gardens too.
Some of the plants you may want to add to your garden to be "butterfly friendly":
- Herbs: Sage, Hyssop, Thyme, Dill, Parsley, Chives, Mint
- Flowers: Asters, Cosmos, Pansies, Marigolds, Violets, Lilac, Hollyhocks, Lupines, Coneflower, Faillardia, Phlox, Primrose, Sedum, Yarrow, Calendula, Dahlia
- Wildflowers: Queen Anne's Lace, Goldenrod, Red or White Clover, Milkweed, Purple Coneflower, Dandelion, Asters, Bearberry (Kinnikinik), Gooseberry
- Vegetables (left to flower): Carrots, Broccoli, Kale, Cabbage.
"We received our butterfly larvae yesterday. The kids are so excited!" MB AB